Sunday 31 December 2017

Looking back on a great year

As 2017 comes to an end, there is much to reflect on in what has been an incredibly busy year in the Hexham constituency.

I am extremely grateful to have been re-elected as MP for Hexham and I am continuing to campaign and work hard for the people of Tynedale and Ponteland, travelling to all corners of the constituency and meeting as many residents as possible. 

This year Northumberland Conservatives achieved the goal of taking control of Northumberland County Council following local elections in May. I look forward to working with our councillors to deliver great results for Northumberland in the coming year. 

My biggest campaign success of 2017 was undoubtedly securing the reopening of overnight care at Hexham Hospital, having been closed for nine months. After many meetings with the Health Trust, doctors and nurses, I was delighted that our hard work paid off.

2017 saw the launch of my Hexham Constituency Community Champion Awards, which recognise the extraordinary achievements of people in communities across the Hexham constituency. Alicia Armstrong, a leukaemia survivor who has since set world records at swimming at the World Transplant Games was awarded Community Champion of the Year, and I look forward to meeting more inspirational members of the community in 2018.

My third annual Tynedale Jobs Fair was another highlight of 2017, and I was especially pleased to hear from people who had found a job following the event- a great success!

I am looking forward to another busy year in 2018 with many more successes for Tynedale and Ponteland. All that remains is to wish you all a very happy New Year and a wonderful 2018.